Quesadillas are a popular Mexican dish made with tortillas that are filled with cheese and other ingredients, then grilled or pan-fried until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy. The word “quesadilla” is derived from the Spanish word “queso,” which means cheese. While cheese is a common filling, quesadillas can also be filled with various ingredients like meats, vegetables, beans, and sauces to add flavor and texture. Quesadillas are typically served as a snack, appetizer, or even a main course, and they can be enjoyed with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or other condiments for dipping or topping.
Here’s a simple recipe to make Quesadillas:
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese (such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a blend)
- 1 cup cooked and seasoned protein (such as grilled chicken, cooked ground beef, or sautéed vegetables)
- Optional fillings: sliced onions, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, or black beans
- Cooking oil or butter for greasing
- Preheat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Lay one flour tortilla flat on a clean surface.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded cheese evenly over one-half of the tortilla, leaving a small border around the edges.
- If desired, layer your choice of cooked protein and additional fillings on top of the cheese.
- Fold the empty half of the tortilla over the filling, pressing down gently.
- Lightly grease the preheated skillet or griddle with cooking oil or butter.
- Carefully transfer the assembled quesadilla to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown and crispy.
- Using a spatula, flip the quesadilla over and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes on the other side, until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is golden brown.
- Remove the quesadilla from the skillet and place it on a cutting board. Allow it to cool for a minute or two before cutting it into wedges.
- Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas and fillings.
- Serve the hot and crispy quesadilla wedges with your choice of dipping sauces or toppings, such as salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or chopped fresh cilantro.
Enjoy your homemade Quesadillas as a delicious snack, appetizer, or main course!