Chicken lollipops are a popular appetizer or snack made from chicken wings. The chicken wings are prepared by cutting the meat away from the bone and pushing it down to create a lollipop-like shape. The meat is marinated in a flavorful sauce, coated in a batter or breading, and then deep-fried until crispy and golden brown. Chicken lollipops are often served with a dipping sauce and can be enjoyed as a finger food or as part of a meal. They are known for their delicious taste, crispy texture, and the fun and unique presentation resembling lollipops.
Chicken lollipops are a popular appetizer or snack made from chicken wings. The preparation involves cutting and shaping the chicken wings to resemble lollipops, where the meat is pushed down to one end of the bone, creating a “handle” similar to a lollipop stick. The wings are usually seasoned, coated with a batter or marinade, and then deep-fried until crispy.
To make chicken lollipops, the chef typically separates the two sections of the wing (drumette and wingette) and removes the smaller bone, leaving only the larger bone as the “handle.” The meat is then pushed down to the bottom of the bone, creating a neat, lollipop-like appearance. This preparation not only makes the dish visually appealing but also allows for easy handling.
Chicken lollipops are often served with various dipping sauces, such as barbecue sauce, hot sauce, or a tangy glaze, enhancing the flavor of the crispy chicken. They are a popular choice at parties, gatherings, and as appetizers in restaurants, appreciated for their taste, presentation, and the convenience of eating with your hands.
- 12 chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Oil, for deep frying
- Chopped spring onions, for garnish
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Start by preparing the chicken wings. Cut off the tips and separate the drumettes from the flats. Keep the drumettes for making chicken lollipops.
- In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, ginger-garlic paste, chili sauce, tomato ketchup, vinegar, red chili powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. This will be the marinade for the chicken lollipops.
- Add the chicken drumettes to the marinade and mix well, ensuring the chicken is coated evenly. Allow it to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or refrigerate overnight for better flavor.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all-purpose flour and cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan or pot over medium heat.
- Take one marinated chicken drumette and roll it in the flour-cornstarch mixture, coating it thoroughly. Repeat with the remaining drumettes.
- Carefully place the coated chicken drumettes into the hot oil. Fry them until golden brown and crispy, turning occasionally for even cooking. This usually takes about 6-8 minutes.
- Once the chicken lollipops are cooked, remove them from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Garnish the chicken lollipops with chopped spring onions and sesame seeds for added flavor and presentation.
- Serve the chicken lollipops hot as an appetizer or party snack. They can be enjoyed on their own or with your favorite dipping sauce.
Enjoy the delicious and crispy chicken lollipops!
Note: Exercise caution when working with hot oil, and ensure the chicken is cooked through before serving.