Say Goodbye to Tears: Learn How to Cut Onions Without Crying
Cutting onions can be a tearful experience due to the release of a gas called syn-propanethial-S-oxide, which irritates the eyes. However, there are some techniques that you can try to minimize the amount of gas released and reduce your chances of crying:
- Chill the onions: Put the onions in the refrigerator or freezer for 15-30 minutes before cutting them. This can help reduce the amount of gas released.
- Cut under running water: Cut the onion under running water or submerge it in a bowl of water while you’re cutting it. The water helps to wash away the gas before it reaches your eyes.
- Use a sharp knife: A sharp knife will cause less damage to the onion, which can reduce the amount of gas released.
- Cut near a flame: Light a candle or turn on a gas stove and cut the onion near the flame. The heat from the flame can help burn off the gas.
- Wear goggles: Wearing goggles can prevent the gas from reaching your eyes.
- Breathe through your mouth: When cutting onions, breathe through your mouth instead of your nose. This can help reduce the amount of gas that reaches your eyes.
By using these techniques, you can cut onions without crying.