Fried Calamari is a popular appetizer made from tender squid that has been coated in a crispy batter and deep-fried to perfection. Here’s a recipe to make Fried Calamari:
- 1 pound squid (calamari), cleaned and sliced into rings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Marinara sauce or aioli for dipping (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix well to evenly distribute the seasonings.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or a large, deep pan to 350°F (175°C).
- Pat the squid rings dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Place the squid rings into the seasoned flour mixture and toss them until they are well coated.
- Shake off any excess flour and carefully place the coated squid rings into the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Fry them in batches if necessary.
- Fry the calamari for about 2-3 minutes until they turn golden brown and crispy. Avoid overcooking, as the squid can become tough.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the fried calamari from the oil and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining squid rings until all are cooked.
- Serve the Fried Calamari hot as an appetizer. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the calamari and serve with marinara sauce or aioli for dipping, if desired.
Note: Be cautious when working with hot oil and ensure proper safety precautions. You can enhance the flavor of Fried Calamari by adding additional seasonings like cayenne pepper, lemon zest, or herbs to the flour mixture. Enjoy the crispy and delicious Fried Calamari as a delightful appetizer or snack!