Baked sweet potatoes with cheese toppings make for a delicious and satisfying meal or side dish. The natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes pairs well with the melted cheese and other toppings, creating a flavourful combination.
These baked sweet potatoes are also packed with nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants, making them a nutritious choice. They can be enjoyed as a vegetarian main dish or served alongside grilled meats or a fresh salad.
Here’s a simple recipe for baked sweet potato with cheese toppings:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup grated cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or your favorite melting cheese)
- Optional toppings: chopped green onions, cooked bacon bits, sour cream, salsa, or hot sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly and pat them dry. Pierce the potatoes several times with a fork to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake them in the preheated oven for about 45-60 minutes, or until they are tender and easily pierced with a fork. The baking time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the sweet potatoes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are baked, remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly.
- Slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise, but not all the way through, creating a pocket for the toppings.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese generously over the sweet potatoes, making sure to get the cheese into the pockets.
- Return the sweet potatoes to the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Serve the baked sweet potatoes with your choice of toppings, such as chopped green onions, cooked bacon bits, sour cream, salsa, or hot sauce. Feel free to get creative and add your favorite toppings to enhance the flavors.
Enjoy the delightful flavors and textures of baked sweet potatoes with cheese toppings for a comforting and wholesome meal!