Impress Your Guests with Perfectly Rolled Homemade Sushi
Here’s a simple recipe for sushi rolls that you can try at home:
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 sheets nori seaweed
- Assorted fillings (such as sliced avocado, cucumber, carrot, crab meat, cooked shrimp, or smoked salmon)
- Soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger for serving
- Rinse the sushi rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Drain the rice and combine it with 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid. Cook the rice for 15-20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the sushi vinegar by combining the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan. Heat the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- When the rice is done cooking, transfer it to a large bowl and add the sushi vinegar. Mix the rice gently with a wooden spoon until the vinegar is absorbed and the rice is sticky and glossy.
- Place a sheet of nori seaweed on a sushi rolling mat or a clean kitchen towel. Spread a thin layer of rice over the nori, leaving a 1-inch border at the top edge. Arrange your desired fillings in a line across the center of the rice.
- Using the rolling mat or towel, roll the sushi tightly, tucking the filling in as you go. When you reach the top edge of the nori, brush the border with water to seal the roll.
- Repeat the process with the remaining nori sheets and fillings, until all of the ingredients are used up.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the sushi rolls into bite-sized pieces. Serve the sushi with soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger on the side.